DICTIONARIES & PRONUNCIATION
• DICTIONARY: Online French / English / Spanish dictionary
• Reverso: Dictionnaire Français/Anglais Online (includes links to synonyms and other kinds of word references)
• Hear Words Pronounced: Acapela website Hear the pronunciation of words you type in-- works for many languages. OR Forvo.com (natural, native speakers)
• Hardcover French / English Dictionaries to buy
• Paperback French / English Dictionaries to buy
• Many other kinds of French language dictionaries online (links)
• Many other kinds of Spanish language dictionaries online (links)
• Dictionary of French idiomatic expressions & phrasal verbs (by letter) at french.about.com. You can also go to my French Reference Sheets to Download page here to download a .pdf of all of the expressions for the letter C .
• Dictionnaire Etymologique du Français (very old dictionary of the etymology of French words)
• Linguee.fr : many ways to express one's excitement
• Online Conjugator for French (Le Conjugueur)
• Online Conjugator for Spanish (El Conjugador)
• How to make ACCENTED LETTERS for MAC click HERE if that one doesn't open
• How to make ACCENTED LETTERS for PC click HERE if that doesn't open
• Listening comprehension activity for practicing the alphabet and accents in French
• C'est l'alphabet! Chanson pour apprendre l'alphabet :)
• Le "A"! Chanson pour apprendre la lettre "A"
• Le "B"! Chanson pour apprendre la lettre "B"
• Alphabet rap en français (I guess!:)
TUTORIALS AND LANGUAGE RESOURCES
Researching grammar topics and tenses:
• Main : Tex's French Grammar (U Texas Austin) Search for grammar topics here.
• French Tutorials ( by Jennifer Wagner, at ielanguages.com, this is an excellent resource for learning about French, including not only verb/tense usage guides, but phrasing and vocabulary for a large variety of situations. You can also go here to download .pdf files of the pages of these tutorials.)
• ADJECTIVES IN FRENCH: Explanation of the placement of adjectives, explained in French... good info here!
• Le Point du FLE: Excellent teaching and learning website for French as a foreign language (FLE= Français Langue Étrangère) -- website in French. Here is the link directly to an activity on direct VS indirect object pronouns
Learning Through Video and Listening
• Illini: Learn French with Real-life videos
• Apprendre le français avec TV5 Monde
Other Interesting Resources for Fun and Information
• Banque de Dépannage Linguistique (de l'Office Québecois de la langue française)
(use of prepositions with the verb habiter -- explanation here!)
• Parlons Français: C'est Facile! Online practice for improving your French, including short videos, games, tests. This site is fiinanced by the French Ministère des Affaires Étrangères, and is run by TV5 Monde.
• Informal French usage (Français Parlé) & Slang (l'argot)(more from Jennifer Wagner at ielanguages.com)
• French proverbs and expressions: general & using animals & by theme or verb
• French Texting - Les Textos français
• French SMS (texting) dictionnaire (merci pour le lien, Rachel F.!)
• Spanish Tutorials (an excellent resource for learning about Spanish, including not only verb/tense usage guides, but phrasing and vocabulary for a large variety of situations.)
• Spanish: 1000 most common words (on Wordsgalore.com)
• Ritzy Language
• Fench and German Realia for teaching(more from Jennifer Wagner at ielanguages.com)
• Colors used in expressions in French
• Orbis Latinus website ("General Overview" page for French with extensive, detailed linguistic background on French.)
• "Descriptive Grammar of the Standard French Language" (clickable table of contents)
• 7 ways to express the English idea of awkward (thanks to Jennifer Pietropaoli at the Washington D.C. Alliance Française)
• Games and activities in early French: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/french/french.htm
• ClassTools.net (includes countdown timer, editable random name picker, etc. (1-12 random picker HERE)
• QuizMEOnline: Resource for making editable practice quizzes and other study sets
• Conte-moi.net: Resource for stories from all over the French-speaking world
• Why take French? Video explaining various reasons why it's smart to add French to your academic repertoire!
• 121 Most Common Expressions in French: Great list!
• 20 ways to say "thank you" in French, from LanguageLearningBase.com
• 21 Ways to say "Yes" in French, from FrenchTogether.com (there is a link to "No" expressions, at the end)
• DELF, DALF, and other tests of French language competence, for non-native French speakers
RESOURCES FOR DIGITAL TOOLS
• Catherine Ousselin's page on resources for digital presentations, storytelling, and collaboration
• Textivate.com -- example using Zaz's "Si" (clip officiel)
• FLE vidéo.com
• Practicing giving directions en ville
RESOURCES WHEN WRITING IN ENGLISH
• MLA and APA Format for citations (This website contains links to both MLA and APA style, as well as other citation formats, and for grammar, and other language resources in English and other languages... from The University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign Writing Center)
• Purdue University's OWL Writing Center (help with all aspects of writing, including grammar and punctuation)